Please note the following:
This instruction has been written to the best of our knowledge, which is based on over a decade of experience. We are not liable for possible failures and/or damages, as well as possible data loss. Therefore, please save your personal and important data on an external storage medium before, which is not needed for the upcoming instruction. Furthermore, we are not liable for the content of external sites linked for the use of this instruction. Following comments are not a part of this instruction, so we cannot be held responsible for them. Basically, the comment function is to evaluate and express an opinion to this instruction. Suggestions for improvements or corrections to this instruction should generally be mentioned via the forum. If you do not feel able to follow the steps or have any doubts, we advise not to use the following instruction!
Who doesn't know the problem? Either an update does not work properly and also causes system errors and crashes, or you have bought a device that is purely for the office and therefore does not require much disk space. Especially the devices, which are only delivered with 32GB disk space, quickly reach their limits and for the coming and above all necessary update, there is no longer enough disk space available. The trouble afterwards is huge, especially because Windows threatens to stop supplying the outdated version or to block the license until you finally do the update. The following instruction should spare you this suffering.
ONE MOMENT: You can skip the instructions marked in italics if you have previously created a USB installation medium for Windows 10 and still have it ready to use.
To start you will need the following:
- A working PC/ Notebook with Windows 7 or higher, as well as a minimum of 8GB free disk space on the used device. The reason for this is, that the tool will save the download temporarly on the internal drive.
- Microsoft Creation Tool*
- A USB stick with at least 8GB disk space (Please note, that, if you use this tool, all files on the USB stick will be deleted.)
*Have a look at the point "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)" below on the linked Microsoft website for a detailed instruction to use this tool.
CAUTION: When you are done with the steps above. Close the website from Microsoft and continue here.
Whether you now had to create a USB stick, or already have a finished stick ready - from here, everything is the same. The following is extremely important. You may not simply restart the PC or notebook and boot from the stick, performing the installation. Important updates could be forgotten and you will face the same problem again after completion. Therefore, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the [WINDOWS-button] and additionally press the [E-button]. Alternatively, click the [FOLDER-icon] at the bottom of the taskbar.
- If you are in the "Documents" folder after the step before, then click on "Computer" in the context menu on the left of the current window.
- Your USB stick is displayed under "Devices and drives". Open it with a double click and
- execute the, immediately visible, "Setup.exe". You may also only see "Setup". But this is the same thing.
- Then, the "Windows 10 Setup - Window" will start and when it is there and the following is not already selected, then select "Download and install updates (recommended)". (Should be selected by default, but.. you never know.)
- Now click on "Next".
- Read the point "Applicable legal notices and license terms" carefully and accept them by clicking on "Accept". The mentioned point before must be accepted, otherwise the installation or the update will be aborted.
- Wait until the program is done checking for updates and then click "Next" again.
- If an error message occur during the search and download of the updates, it might because of a lack of disk space. In that case, switch to the article "Free Windows from garbage and get more disk space". If you have finished the article and have more disk space, then repeat the above steps again. Starting with step 4.
Now simply follow the further instructions of the program. At the end, before it finally starts, you will get shown what exactly will happen with your system and your data. It is important that the point "Keep personal files and apps" is displayed, because only if this is displayed and there is a green check mark in front of this text, your personal files and apps are retained and only the system is reinstalled and additionally updated to the latest version. This point "Keep personal files and apps" only refers to personal files and apps. Additional installed programs will be kept, but they will be removed from the "Registry". This can (but does not have to) lead to, that the programs (not apps) you've installed does no longer function properly.
If reinstalling the programs is not a problem for you, you only need to click on the "Install" button. Let yourself get guided through the setup and you will have reinstalled Windows 10 with the latest update afterwards! If, contrary to expectations, you are asked to enter a license key, you can simply bypass this step by clicking on "Skip". Windows will automatically activate, if reactivation is even required, once the installation is complete and the device is connected to the Internet. Done!
ATTENTION: If, for any reason, you have a problem reinstalling the programs, please contact the person who previously installed the software for you or get in touch with the dealer or the software developer where you got the software from, before starting the update or rather reinstalling the system with the latest update. Unfortunately, we cannot help here. We ask for your understanding.
You need further help? You can describe your individual request in our forum. We will gladly help you as good as possible!